Thanks Rob

I'll have a look into bubbling - do I cancel bubbling on the li click
event or button click event?

Some of the validation errors are because I simplified the html code
for the purpose of this discussion but missed some tags. I wasn't
aware of a form not being valid in a span so thanks for that, not sure
what you mean by an input not allowed to be a child of a form though??

Thanks again.

Rich