this is the actual code in the jQuery core file:

if ( s.cache === false && type == "GET" ) {
                        var ts = now();
                        // try replacing _= if it is there
                        var ret = s.url.replace(/(\?|&)_=.*?(&|$)/, "$1_=" + ts
+ "$2");
                        // if nothing was replaced, add timestamp to the end
                        s.url = ret + ((ret == s.url) ? (s.url.match(/\?/) ?
}

basically "if caching is explicitly set to false and it's a GET
request, then add the current timestamp to the end of the requested
URL" (effectively creating a new un-cached request. POST requests
don't cache in the browser)

are you seeing this timestamp added to the XHR call in a tool like
Firebug?