Here's a post from John's blog in which he touches the topic of a
general strategy for browser support:
http://ejohn.org/blog/the-browsers-of-2009/

He also briefly writes about it in his (latest?) book:
http://www.manning.com/resig/

Finally, John's (and thus jQuery's) testing strategy is to test
against the previous, the current, and the upcoming (nightly build)
version of supported browsers. [citation needed] :p

P.S.: When I write 'John', it's probably really the whole team behind
jQuery that worked out those approaches.