You can of course use my (minor) modification under an MIT license.

Since Superfish 1.4.8 is offered under both MIT and GPL, you are free
to create your own fork. This plugin still gets tons of use, I think
it would be good for the community to have a more current release. You
should start a google code project for it.

-Jason