This is most likely because you're setting your height to have a lower
value than the default minHeight (150).  If you want the height to
only be 50, you'll need to reduce the minHeight as well.

Feel free to create a ticket for this as this is probably unexpected
behavior.  The minHeight should probably be forced to be at most the
original height.  You can create a ticket at http://dev.jqueryui.com/newticket
(requires registration).