It seems like the scrollbar issues related to dialogs in IE have to do
with the way IE calculates the offsetHeight and offsetWidth when not
using a strict !DOCTYPE declaration.   See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534199(VS.85).aspx for more
detail.

As soon as I started using <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Strict//EN">  the offsetHeight, offsetWidth calculations come more in
line with FF, Safari, and Opera. The jQuery code that uses these
offset properties are able to perform the correct calculations and the
dialog scrollbar issues all seem to go away when using strict mode.  I
am not sure if this helps at all if somebody needs quirks mode for
some other reason but if you can use strict mode then this is a
workaround to the issues.