Paul M Reilly wrote:

> What do you mean by "crashes"?
>
> Do you mean the VM dies or do you mean an exception is thrown?
>
> If exception, can you post it?

This seems to be the sequence of events.

I add the entries to jrun-users.xml and to web.xml.  Then I attempt to
go to the new directory, and enter the username and password.  It
doesn't work.  Then when I try again, it does seem to work, but JRun no
longer serves up pages.

When I issue ./jrun-status on the command line I am told that neither
admin nor default are running.  I can start them both from the command
line, and things are normal again.

No exception seems to be thrown, unfortunately; at least, I can't track
anything down in jrun-events.log.

I'm working on convincing our managers that this is not the best way to
implement security anyway.