What follows isn't based on struts, beans or any more "formal" technique,
but it works, and I hope it helps.

I find it most helpful to translate to and from objects and SQL as close to
the database as possible.  In other words, you might have an object called
SkillSet with methods like isJSPSkilled(), isJAVASkilled(), isHTMLSkilled()
for querying, and setJSPSkill(), setJAVASkill(), setHTMLSkill() for setting
the values.  Then, when the user logs in, as you build their profile, you
can use an SQL query to set the values in the SkillSet object for this
user.  Now building the check boxes becomes trivial.  In your JSP, retrieve
the SkillSet object (from the session, a bean, or as a request attribute -
my favorite), and then your JSP would look like

// retrieve skill set
SkillSet skills = (SkillSet) request.getAttribute("skillset");
// display HTML
<input type="checkbox" value="JSP" <%= skills.isJSPSkilled() ? "checked" :
"" %> > JSP
<input type="checkbox" value="JAVA" <%= skills.isJAVASkilled() ? "checked"
: "" %> > JAVA
<input type="checkbox" value="HTML" <%= skills.isHTMLSkilled() ? "checked"
: "" %> > HTML

This leaves out a lot of the work needed to set this up, etc., but I hope
it gives you a direction to a solution.