Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the quick answer.

Yes I did mean encoding the session id in the url
("http://host/foo.jsp;jsessionid=123?page=Main";).

We want to disable cookies in our dev environment so that we can log
into the same app multiple times from the same browser; this makes
testing some things a lot easier. Firefox shares cookies between windows
unless you go to a lot of effort (setting up separate profiles). Note
that in the setup here, there is a large existing webapp with an
embedded jspwiki engine to serve the help pages; disabling a dev/test
feature in order to support the (small) help engine feature hasn't been
terribly popular.

I'm working on enabling this in JSPWiki anyway, but won't bother
submitting the patches here.

By the way, I don't see cookies as a lot more secure. The cookie text is
also sent in plain text in both the request and response bodies. There
aren't many cases where someone can intercept the url but not the
cookies. But thanks for the reference to OWASP; I'll have a look at what
they say about that.

Regards,
Simon