Nice to see some movement here Stanley! I've been thinking a bit about this issue, and tried to summarize that here:

http://atsatt.blogspot.com/2008/04/jsr-277-interoperation.html

Do folks generally agree with this characterization? Does anyone think I've grossly misstated the situation, or left out anything important?

// Bryan

Stanley M. Ho wrote:
Hi experts,

As we discussed in the EG, we would like to make JSR 277 interoperable with other module systems (e.g. OSGi, NetBeans, etc.). We have been building prototypings to figure out how it should work and to also validate the overall approach. Since there are many module systems out there and they are all implemented very differently (there are also multiple OSGi implementations), it requires us to build more than a few prototypes and the whole process takes time.

The good news is that we now have a prototype that allows JSR 277 modules to interoperate with OSGi bundles in certain degrees, and another prototype that enables interoperation with Maven. I'm in the process of sorting out the details with the development team so we could have a strawman for this EG to discuss soon.

- Stanley