On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:16 -0700, Stanley M. Ho wrote:
> 2. Requirements
>      1. It shall be possible for an OSGi container to implement the
>         Java Module System.
>      2. It shall be possible for a JAM module to express an import
>         dependency on any Module Definition in any Java Module System.

These goals appear to have changed from the ones we agreed?
I am misreading it or is this document only expressing one side of
the equation?

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 13:08 -0800, Stanley M. Ho wrote:
> Goals:
>
> 1. It shall be possible for JSR-277 modules to make use of modules from
> other module systems (e.g. JSR-291) (i.e. if other module systems expose
> their modules as JSR-277 modules through a repository implementation.)
>
> 2. It shall be possible for other module systems (e.g. JSR-291) to be
> implemented on top of the JSR-277 APIs such that the modules from other
> module system can make use of JSR-277 modules.

I originally read (2) as a rewording of Glynn's original
definition where the goal is to create a more peer orientated
delegation.

> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:49 +0000, Glyn Normington wrote:
> > Michal Cierniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/01/2007 20:20:12:
> > Co[u]ld you write a one-paragraph outline of what "first class
> > interoperation with JSR 291" would mean?
>
> First class interoperation with JSR 291 means that JSR 291
> implementations
> should be implementable on top of Java 7 APIs such that JSR 291
> bundles can
> make effective use of JSR 277 modules and vice versa.
>
> (I guess JSR 291 modules residing in JSR 277 repositories would be
> helpful
> too, especially if anyone needs to create a hybrid application
> containing
> modules of both sorts.)

My critisms of using the JSR277 repositories to do the integration
included:

* There are already lots of orthogonal reasons for swapping
repository implementations

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:26 +0100, Adrian wrote:
> So besides the peer/hierarchy argument there
> is also the problem that the repository is dealing
> with too many concerns.
>
> 1) ModuleDefinition construction
> 2) Model - parent/child or peer
> 3) QoS - what tools are available for the repository
> 4) Location - file system/url based, etc.
> 5) Delegation - links to standard repositories
> etc.

* Developing a full repository just to define a different archive
format is too much (e.g. legacy javaee deployments)

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 17:12 +0100, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 18:05 -0800, Stanley M. Ho wrote:
> > If I understand you correctly, your primary concern is around
> requiring
> > other module systems which support 277 modules that are stored
> > differently (e.g. war, ear, etc.) to implement the classloading and
> > other functionalities from scratch. Is this accurate?
>
> Not just that, anybody that wants to integrate their own
> packaging format and construct module definition (wrappers)
> should be able to plugin without dictating
> or developing a full repository.
>
> The examples so far discussed are:
> OSGi modules
> JavaEE deployment packages

* The concern about hierarchical integration

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock