Dear Folks:

Thanks for the Judy Tree data structure!  It has been an excellent tool to use
in some computational linguistics research where we need to fiddle with large
datasets of small objects (words, pairs of words, triples of words,
frequencies, etc).

Have you seen this?

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/fritchie03study.html

Judy comes out very nicely in some benchmarks.

Contrasted with the one that has already been discussed here:

http://www.nothings.org/computer/judy/

Where Judy barely holds her own against Sean Barrett's basic hash table.

My guess is that Judy does so much better in the fritchie03study than in the
Sean Barrett (nothings.org) because fritchie was using a CPU with a 64-byte
cache line (for which Judy was designed), and Barrett was using a Pentium III
which I believe has a 32-byte cache line.

This suggests that Judy is better performing on the common machines today than
it was on the common machines a few years ago.

My experience was on an Athlon-64 (details below), and as I said it was very
pleasant.  The same source code also ran on lesser, 32-bit machines, but it
didn't hum along as nicely.

Regards,

Zooko

MAIN yumyum:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 2403.176
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 4809.50
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64