Dear Klaus,

I hesitant to think of Juenger's model as "non-violent anarchism" - in my
opinion this expression over-emphasizes the rather secondary aspect of violence
and continues an association with popular notions of anarchism as a social
phenomenon. I understand that if one uses the word anarchism in connection with
the
anarch, one is then forced to add the "non-violent" condition to correct for
the associations of the word. I would
rather find some other formulation which dispenses with that word and
therefore does not have to make any secondary stipulations about its
non-violent nature.

Naturally Juenger's anarch does not believe in violence as an effective method
to change anything, but he knows that in certain extreme cases he might have to
resort to violence to protect his personal freedom. The anarch is preferably
but not necessarily non-violent.

I understand anarchism as a social or group phenomenon which is supported by
shared beliefs in changing the world by eliminating the rules
and rulers which limit the group's freedom. The group acts in and against
society. The anarch acts alone.

"Personal anarchy" is more the condition Juenger's
anarch strives for. His field of action is his own personal "self-island", his
own personal forest, mostly within, but to some limited degree also in the
practical world around him. He is not interested in, he understands the
futility of, trying to improve the world.

One could imagine a group of hippies living peacefully in a comune removed from
society as practising non-violent anarchism. But they are not anarchs in
Juenger's sense.

Sorry to make a big deal about two little words, but these notions have to be
carefully explained in order to avoid misunderstandings and false conclusions
on the part of the public. There are too many misunderstandings regarding
Juenger already.

best regards from Wien,

Simon