Richard,

Thanks very much for sharing your reflections on the FGJ book -- I really wish
I could read German, or I wish many of these texts were translated into English.

Thanks for your contemplations. It looks like a great book (  thanks also for
translating those sayings).

I am still wading through Zeev Sternhell's interesting study of the early cross
overs between Anarchism,the Avant Garde, Fascism,and variations of Marxism. I
find it intriguing how, in the early years of the 20Th century, all these
apparently diverse 'schools' flowed into each other.

At times, it's dizzying -- Sternhell tells us ( on page 80 ) that Sorel
represented a French variant of the 'conservative revolutionaries' in Germany ,
and he name checks Juenger as being one of those at the forefront of that
'movement'.

However, it's difficult for me to really see such a comparison as being
entirely valid : Sternhell tells us that Sorel was a committed follower of  the
Anarchist Proudhon, and very taken by his ideas -- but he also tells us that
Sorel grew to despise Anarchism, seeing it as childish idealism. ( We also
learn that  Proudhon expressed ideas that certainly had more in common with
Fascist Nationalism than  his more well known Anarchist conceptions ) Sorel was
also a believer in Marxism -- but saw it as redundant, exhausted,
incomplete, and ended up adapting his version of Marxist dialectic -- that
inspired Fascists.

I am not at all sure that I see a comparison with Juenger.

Nonetheless, it's a fascinating book -- especially to observe how often some of
the 'key players' in the unfolding of these ideologies kept on jumping from
'one side' to the other in the early 1900's.

Has anyone else on board read Sternhell's works on early cross overs between
Fascism, Anarcho Syndicalism and Marxism? How about Sorel ? Being honest,
whilst I can see certain 'cosmetic', surface, comparisons  between the two
men -- I can't really see the validity of comparisons with Juenger at any
deeper level.

Anyone else?

Greg.