There's an extant version incompatibility between 1.18 and 1.20 that was
highlighted during the 1.19 dev cycle which is unaddressed till the
unreleased 1.21 (http://pad.lv/1311227).  We should treat compatibility
breakage as a blocker for stable releases.

Also in addition to the api & cli, environment.jenv files need to adhere to
compatibility constraints as their the only reasonable mechanism for a
client to connect (credentials, certs, addresses).