hmm.. there's three distinct threads here.

default-hook -> charms that do so symlink 0-100% -> to one hook.. in
practice everything, sometimes minus install (as the hook infrastructure
needs pkgs).. and most typically implemented via dispatch table.

something-changed -> completely orthogonal to either the default-hook merge
request, and in practice full of exceptions, but useful as an optimization
of event collapsing around charms capable of event coalescence

periodic async framework invoked -> metrics and health checks. afaics best
practices  around these would be not invoking default-hook which is
lifecycle event handler, while these are periodic poll, yes its possible
but it conflates different roles.

cheers,
Kapil

also +1 to default-hook using JUJU_HOOK_NAME.