On 19/10/17 16:33, Ian Booth wrote:

> On 19/10/17 15:22, John Meinel wrote:
>> So at the moment, I don't think Juju supports what you're looking for,
>> which is cross model relations without public addresses. We've certainly
>> discussed supporting all private for cross model. The main issue is that we
>> often drive parts of the firewalls (security groups) but without
>> understanding all the routing, it is hard to be sure whether things will
>> actually work.
>>

> The space to which an endpoint is bound affects the behaviour here. Having
> said
> that, there may be a bug in Juju's cross model relations code.

Actually, there may be an issue with current behaviour, but not what I first
thought.

In network-get, only if an endpoint is not bound to a space does the resulting
ingress address use the public address (if one exists). If bound to a space, the
ingress addresses are set to the machine local addresses. This is wrong because
there's absolutely no guarantee an arbitrary external workload will be able to
connect to such an address - defaulting to the public address is the best choice
for most deployments.

I think network-get needs to change such that in the absence of information to
the contrary, regardless of whether an endpoint is bound to a space, the public
address should be advertised for ingress in a cross model relation.

The above implies we would need a way for the user to specify at relation time a
different ingress address for the consuming end. But that's not necessarily easy
to determine as it requires knowledge of how both sides (incl offering side)
have been deployed, and may change per relation. We don't intend to provide a
solution for this bit of the problem in Juju 2.3.