I'm a bit curious what you mean by "manually provisioned machine". Are you
saying that you used the VMWare APIs directly to launch an instance, and
then "juju bootstrap IP" to start using that machine, and then "juju
add-machine ssh:IP" to add the second machine?

You could try doing "juju upgrade-juju --debug" to see what at least the
client thinks it is trying to do. I wonder if it is a case where your VM
doesn't actually have egress access, but your client does. And so Jujud on
the VM is trying to do something like download the new agent, which your
client saw and said was available, but the controller isn't actually able
to download.

John
=:->