Hi Helmut,
try the following (without any guarantee):

//iterate over the features of your layer, select some of them by attribute and build an envelope including all the geometries of the features to select
Layer lyr = context.getLayerManager().getLayer("yourLayer");
FeatureCollectionWrapper fcw = lyr.getFeatureCollectionWrapper();
List<Feature> features = fcw.getFeatures();
Envelope envToZoomTo=new Envelope();
for (Feature feature : features) {
    if (feature.getString("YourAttribute").equalsIgnoreCase("theValueTheFeaturesToSelectShouldHave")) {
        context.getLayerViewPanel().getSelectionManager().getFeatureSelection().selectItems(lyr, feature);
        envToZoomTo.expandToInclude(feature.getGeometry().getEnvelopeInternal());
    }
}
//zoom to the envelope (with a factor which determines the zooming-level)
context.getLayerViewPanel().getViewport().zoom(EnvelopeUtil.bufferByFraction(envToZoomTo,0.5));

for changing the fill-color you should add a temporary legend-field in the attribute-table of your layer, fill it with a special value for the features to select and set the style
of the layer respectively.
For working with styles look here: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4d70f030909180629s2fa48105kb30686666f87aeaf%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=jump-pilot-devel

Helmut Seidel M.A. schrieb:
Hello again,

thank you for your replies. Maybe I should have stated that I'm working
on a plugin, not an external application.

Thanks again

Helmut