John Wilson wrote:
> I wonder how feasible it would be to define a standard AST as well?
> I'm thinking in terms of a set of interfaces/abstract classes which
> represent a class. Each language implementation would
> implement/subclass these to produce a concrete AST (a rather confusing
> term I'm afraid).

Unfortunately, this ignores one key point: my Ruby-compiled code, for
example, would never be representable in anything resembling a Java AST.
In fact, it's practically impossible to decompile it even now, and I
suspect we're going to see that's the case in many other compiled
non-Java languages on the JVM. Microsoft's DLR has made attempts to have
a common AST structure (or as they call it, an abstract semantic tree),
but from what I understand only IronPython is using it, with IronRuby
forced to use the AST coming out of a YACC/Bison-based parser. A common
AST would be impressive, but I think it's probably almost impossible to
find something we call can use to represent our languages.

Of course I'm also a little biased at this point; I've sadly gotten to
the point where I can emit sequences of 25-50 raw bytecodes and have
them work the first time, so I'm starting to lose touch with a
non-bytecode way of life :)

- Charlie