John Cowan wrote:
> On 11/7/07, Jochen Theodorou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> well there is at last the problem that you will need root rights to
>> start the server. Root rights are to be avoided as much as possible.
>> that's a general rule. If it is not possible, then there must be a very
>> good reason for this or no sane administrator will install that software
>> and a normal user couldn't.
>
> I don't mean a multi-user server; I mean multiple instances of the server,
> one per user.  Thus on my workstation "jcowan" runs one server, which
> takes requests only from processes that can prove they are jcowan
> by presenting the secret stored in /home/jcowan/.railgun/secret;
> "root" runs another server, which correspondingly insists on being
> handed the secret from /root/.railgun/secret.  Other users that run
> processes could have their own servers as needed.

This is the model I intend for the JRuby Nailgun server; users start up
the server on their own, with their own permissions. And Tom's idea
resolves any possible concerns about other users using your server.

This is NOT intended to be a solution whereby you'd run a single server
for an entire machine over multiple users. There's way too many sticky
issues with that. But having each user run a 25-50MB process when they
log in and piping all their commands through it seems a lot more
efficient than spinning up a 25-50MB process every time they run something.

- Charlie