Rémi Forax wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've just pushed a new implementation of the backport.
> CallSites are now created dynamically as needed and can be garbaged
> if there are no longer used.
>
> I've planned to release two tools.
> - one that can be used at compile time, just after your compiler
>   or as last step of the compilation (using ASM adapters).
> - A java.lang.instrument agent that modifies the bytecode
>   at runtime when it is loaded.

I'm looking forward to trying the backport code when I have more time.
June is hell month for me as far as travel goes.

> I've some questions about the language runtime you implement :
> 1) Do you use another library than ASM to generate bytecodes ?

No, I love ASM like a brother. In the future we may use a Ruby-based
wrapper around it, but we'll always be using ASM under the covers.

> 2) Do you generate bytecodes at runtime ?

Extensively, for JITting code and generating method handles.

>     - Do you use your own classloader ?

Yes, but primarily only because we want everything we generate to be
GCable. If we could load them without a classloader we would (e.g. 292's
AnonymousClassloader).

>     - Do you use java.lang.instrument ?

Not yet.

- Charlie