Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
>   In my subjective tests, the StackMap calculation overhead is much
> higher then performance gain you'll get from the new verifier. This is
> actually by design of the new verifier, so pre-verification step when
> StackMap is generated runs off line and can take long, but
> verification at run time is really quick because it uses pre-
> calculated StackMap structures.
>   The only chance to avoid that is to not use COMPUTE_FRAMES (skip the
> data flow analysis algorithm) and generate StackMap together with the
> bytecode if you know your code structure and type hierarchies.

So if I follow you correctly, COMPUTE_FRAMES should not be used for
runtime code unless we're willing to swallow it being much more costly
than just allowing the normal verification process to handle that code
at runtime. That's good information; we don't generate code frequently
enough at runtime to have noticed a performance bottleneck in
classloading, but every little bit helps; I'll probably turn this off
for JITted methods generated at runtime.

- Charlie