On February 26, 2020 12:59:13 PM PST, Stop The Insanity <b...@cookswell.com>
wrote:
>Sean,
>
>Thank you for the tip.  You are correct.  I had all three of my email
>account Inboxes set to 100 emails max.
>
>I set the largest to unlimited and it downloaded 860 emails - not what
>really wanted, but the annoying reminders stopped.  I waited 24 hours
>make sure, and all good.
>
>Then I tried this - I set the large one back to 100 max, then set the
>smallest one to unlimited - and it downloaded the 25 emails that were
>in
>there. Still no annoying reminders after 24 hours.
>
>It seems like the behavior is not email account specific - so that's
>good.
>
>Thanks for the tip.

I believe this is mostly intentional behavior. The "number of messages" setting
only affects how many messages K-9 asks the server for (counting from newest
backwards). It does not affect how many messages the local client stores, which
is fine since they've already been downloaded and thus only cost local storage
space.

The benefit of using the message limit is slightly less bandwidth (and thus
battery) usage. The risk is that if you receive more messages than the download
limit between syncs, you may "miss" a message. They'll still be on the server,
and having push enabled makes this very unlikely to happen, but just be aware
of the possibility.

--Sean