I have exactly the same situation and issue. I have 7 email accounts and having an overview of all accounts with the number of unread in each ...and the ability to sync all of them at the same time, is *indispensable* for me too.

I have temporarily (hopefully) switched to a different app and will see what shakes out when the new version of k-9 mail is complete. If the accounts overview is indeed gone in the final release, I'll unfortunately have to stick with my alt.

--
steve.