I recognize your comment. I had the same experience, without any notice by F
Droid, where it doesn't seem to figure anymore, just like that. I am always in
favour of open source, but a warning before removing an app would be polite.
The Playstore download did not work either.
The 'special' app-password Google generated did not work.
Although I love K-9 for its simple and sturdy design I am happy with Fair Email
as its replacement. The send-button with encryption reminders is well thought
of.