Phone:  LG V20
Carrier: Sprint
android version: 8.0.0
Android security patch level: July 1 2019
Kernel version: 3.18.71
Build number: OPR1.170623.032
Software version: LS99720a
Security software version: MDF v2.0 Release 4

When I first installed K9 mail, about 18 months ago, it reported each of my
2 accounts was occupying about 1.7Mb  This number has gradually crept up
until today it is at about 5.5Mb

I don not allow mail to accumulate on my phone.  At any given time, I may
have no more than 20 messages that still need to be dealt with, everything
else is deleted.  As of right now I have 10 messages in my personal
account, taking up 5.5Mb, and 5 in my business account using 4.9 Mb.  The
stored messages should all be under 5Kb!!  None of them has any attachments.

Does anyone have any clues on where to look for where the space is being
eaten up?