I agree about one goto!

As for the initial account load ... up until K9 version 5.600, they easily
offered an option to initially display the account list, and so they
already have legacy code which does this.

But I guess that they must have their reasons for not wanting this feature
in more recent releases.

One thing I could do is to use AutoInput in conjunction with Tasker and get
it to auto-perform that one tap upon app startup of K9. I might do that
some day, but for now, I don't want to do that work, and so I'll just keep
avoiding K9 for the time being.