From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "Sackmann, Gleason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EduHound Weekly for April 11 2002
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:04:38 -0700

Have you told a friend or colleague about EduHound?
http://www.eduhound.com

Stop viruses from entering your network by blocking access to personal
web-based email accounts and restricting downloads of potentially damaging
files such as '.exe' with SurfControl's web and email filtering software.
Learn more by visiting:
http://www.thejournal.com/sysproc/logclick.cfm?adid=224&page=/ehweekly

WELCOME to the 90th Issue of
EduHound Weekly!

1.      From the Desk of Judi
2.      EduHound Spotlight Site of the Week!
3.      EduHound Spotlight School/District of the Week!
4.      EduHound Spotlight Classroom of the Week!
5.      Educational Conference Planning
6.      Ask Judi!

*Plus Site Updates!

**************************************

1. From the Desk of Judi!

This week's topic is:

EARTH DAY

This year, Earth Day is on Monday, April 22nd. There's no lack of
excellent and
innovative ideas to help you develop a curriculum to celebrate Earth
Day!

Some sites of interest:

Earth Day Network
http://www.earthday.org

Endangered Ecosystems
http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/explorer/ecosystems/

Best Lessons on Earth (Day)!
http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/lesson260.shtml

Earthwatch Institute & Global Classroom
http://www.earthwatch.org

Note: Instead of copying and pasting these links into your browser,
simply go
to www.eduhound.com/mainpage.cfm and select our 'Science' category.

Good Luck!

Judi

2. EduHound Spotlight Site of the Week!

In honor of Earth Day, this week's featured site is:

Earth Day @ Planetpals
http://www.planetpals.com/earthday.html

PlanetPals provides lots of Earth Day arts and crafts activities and
links to projects that students can participate in as they prepare for and
celebrate Earth Day. The site includes recycling and energy-saving tips and
tricks. An environmental calendar lists other Earth related holidays and
celebrations.
Don't miss the Earth Day recycling kits -- on recycling, pesticides, and
saving energy -- ready to print out and use with your kids!

Enjoy!

**You can now see our past "Sites of the Week" live on EduHound at:
http://www.eduhound.com/weeklyspotlight.cfm

3. EduHound Spotlight School/District of the Week!

Shenendehowa Central Schools
Clifton Park, New York

http://www.shenet.org

See for Yourself & Submit your School/District Today!

**You can now see our past "Schools/Districts of the Week" live on
EduHound Schools on the Web at:
http://www.eduhoundschoolsontheweb.com/schoolspotlight.cfm

4.  EduHound Spotlight Classroom of the Week!

Mrs. Guffin's 5th Grade Class @ C. C. Lee Elementary
Aberdeen, South Dakota

http://www.teachers.k12.sd.us/bg016/

See for Yourself & Submit your Classroom Today!

**You can now see our past "Sites of the Week" live on EduHound
Classrooms on the Web at:
http://www.eduhoundclassroomsontheweb.com/classroomspotlight.cfm

********

5. Educational Conference Planning

NECC 2002: Nexus in Texas
June 17-19, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
http://www.neccsite.org

Other upcoming conferences:

47th Annual International Reading Association Conference
April 28 - May 2, 2002 - San Francisco, California
http://www.reading.org/2002/

American Library Association Annual Conference 2002
June 13-19, 2002 - Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.ala.org

--For a complete listing of all educational conferences, check out
T.H.E. Journal's Calendar at http://www.theconferencecalendar.com

6. Ask Judi!

This week's input comes from Kim Kalapus, Editor, Purple Mountain Media
Company:

"Enjoyed the issue about news and current events for kids. Just wanted
to drop a note to let you know of another great news source for kids -
PurpleMountain.com. We provide international & national news and great
stories about what young people are doing in their communities. Our Web site is
in support of Purple Mountain Press, The Real Newspaper for Kids, our print
piece. "

http://www.purplemountain.com

Thanks for sharing, Kim!

Within this site, here are some excellent sections:

Purple Mountain for Teachers
Find all of Purple Mountain's lesson plans for Purple Mountain Press,
The Real Newspaper for Kids.
http://teachers.purplemountain.com

Purple Mountain for Kids
http://kids.purplemountain.com

Good Luck!

Each week, I'll use this area to answer your questions, post
announcements, and
provide interesting input! So please email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
and watch for your answer here!

EduHound Site Updates!

http://www.eduhound.com/edumatch/main.html

If you go to our page at: http://www.eduhound.com/edumatch/main.html
You can go to edumatch to search for and purchase software by grade,
platform, state standards and more!

*******************************

NEWS FROM EDUMATCH

We told you about the new Premium Program for districts from our friends
at www.edumatch.com a while ago. It's starting to catch on and several
districts have enrolled. That's great news.

This is the free (yes, free!) service that will match your state's
curriculum standards to over 4,000 curriculum software titles and give district
administrators unprecedented control over the acquisition process.
Districts that subscribe to the edumatch Premium Program get a revolutionary new
tool for complying with state curriculum standards and a system of checks and
balances for controlling district spending on software.

There's much more, of course. We encourage you to go to www.edumatch.com
and click on Premium Program on the home page.

And don't forget: We think it's the only way to buy software that makes
sense!
edumatch matches curriculum software from over 150 publishers to your
state's curriculum standards, your teaching style, your students and your
hardware:
http://www.eduhound.com/edumatch/main.html

********************************

www.eduhound.com/hotlist

Create Your Own FREE Educational Web Pages, HotLists and Worksheets!

Educators everywhere are already using the HotList! They're making their
own personal web pages, webquests, assessments and worksheets. We've also
provided a direct address for each of your ad free HotLists so you can link it to
your already existing district, school or personal education pages.

See for yourself how fast, easy and impressive your own educational web
page can be!

So if you missed an issue, misplaced an issue, recently subscribed,
receive the text version and want to see EduHound Weekly in its colorful HTML
format...now you can! Enjoy!

http://www.awesomeclipartforkids.com

Awesome Clipart for Kids has Kid, Teacher & Family-Friendly FREE
clipart, coloring pages, backgrounds, banners, fonts, icons, lines, skins,
worksheets and wallpaper with aliens, animals, cats, creatures, dogs, education,
holidays, robots, sports, toys, weather & more! Created & maintained by
14-year-old Tom Brown.

That's all for this week!
"Remember...the Web is a terrible thing to waste!"

If you have any other questions, please send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]