From: "CNN STUDENT NEWS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: CNN STUDENT NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Fri, 10 May 2002 17:16:02 -0400
Subject: CNN’s Educational Resources - May 13, 2002

Special: Oceans ... Tip of the Week ... On Air Report Topics ... News for
Students ... Resources for Teachers

***************************************

Science Special - Oceans: Deep Blue Sea

Join CNN Student News for "Oceans: Deep Blue Sea," a three-part series that
dives in deep with some of the world's top oceanographers.

Visit http://CNNstudentnews.com/interactive/specials/oceans/index.html for
more information and to access a wealth of resources.

The on-air portion of "Oceans" airs on CNN Student News Monday, May 13
through Wednesday, May 15.  The series profiles a leading oceanographer,
shows how life co-exists in the depths and explores marine ecosystems at a
research station in Bermuda.  CNN Student News airs weekdays on CNN at 4:30
a.m.

"Oceans" will also feature online resources from CNNstudentnews.com.  These
materials will include discussion questions for classrooms, activities and
oceanography factoids.  Teachers can use these resources in general science
and biology classes.

***************************************

CNN Student News Tip Of The Week

Did you know that CNN Student News has a section online dedicated to
resources and information for teachers?  The Teacher Resources section
features lesson plans and discussion/activities organized by subject area,
an archive of past Specials and Series, links to Education News stories,
and more!

Teacher Resources can be found at http://CNNstudentnews.com/teachers

***************************************

CNN Student News "On Air" Daily Report Topics - Week of May 20

CNN Student News airs on your CNN television station at 4:30 am ET Monday
through Friday - set your VCRs!

Monday, May 20
Culture Report - Virtual Studio
Musical conductor James Oliverio and the staff and students at the
University of Florida have combined art and technology to create the
Digital Worlds Institute.
Curriculum Connections: Technology, Music, Fine Arts

Tuesday, May 21
Health Report - Fad Diet
CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta takes a look at the problems associated with some of
America's top fad diets.
Curriculum Connections: Health, Biology

Wednesday, May 22
Business Report - Airport Security
America's new airport security chiefs are receiving some hard-core security
training, complements of the U.S. federal government.
Curriculum Connections: Business, Current Issues, Career Counseling

Thursday, May 23
Science Report - Cyber Noise
Architects and engineers in Hong Kong have created a futuristic home that
protects residents from different kinds of noise.
Curriculum Connections: Technology, Physics

Friday, May 24
The Week in Review

Please note:  Daily Report Topics are subject to change based on breaking
news and events.

***************************************

NEWS for STUDENTS

>From the CNN Student Bureau: WWII Filipino Veterans Seek Benefits
In 1942, U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt called on young Filipino men to
fight under the American flag during World War II. As a reward for their
service, they were promised the same full benefits any U.S. war veteran
would receive.
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/07/vets.benefits/index.html

>From the CNN Student Bureau: City Year Creates Volunteers
Young adults are becoming actively involved in community service across the
country. Some are taking part in an organization known as City Year, a
program that brings together a diverse combination of 17 to 24-year-olds
who carry out one year of self-motivated community service while helping
others.
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/06/sb.city.year/index.html

>From the CNN Student Bureau: Dreaming Big - Ahkmal's Personal Story
Ahkmal Rouf, a 20-year-old Afghani who immigrated to Pakistan seven years
ago, says his homeland has lost its legs. He wants to return to Afghanistan
to help his nation stand again.
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/08/ahkmals.story/index.html

Experts Overflowing with Ideas for Ideal Toilet
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/08/flush/index.html

U.N. Spotlights Youth Issues
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/06/un.kids/index.html

History Calls Vacationers to the Road
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/08/historical.travel/index.html

South Africa Battles Over HIV Drug
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/05/08/aids.africa/index.html

***************************************

NEWS for TEACHERS

Test: Most Seniors Lack Basic History Knowledge
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/05/10/history.scores.ap/index.ht
ml

Teacher Allegedly Uses Fiery Newspaper to Discipline Class
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/05/10/teacher.fire.ap/index.html

Harvard Changes How Sexual Misconduct Cases Handled
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/05/08/harvard.sexual.misconduct.
ap/index.html

School Bus Seat Belts Show Few Benefits
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/US/05/07/school.bus.seatbelts/index.html

No Future Plans?  Then No Graduation: Policy Bans Students Without
Post-High School Intentions
http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/05/08/graduation.policy.ap/index
html

Talk to Us!

We would love to know how you are using CNN Student News - both on-air and
online - in your classroom.   Send your comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Read our privacy guidelines at:
http://fyi.cnn.com/fyi/legal/privacy/index.html

(c) 2002 Cable News Network, LP, LLLP.  An AOL Time Warner Company.  All
Rights Reserved.