On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:52:43 +0100 (CET),
Sam Ravnborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have started using of kbuild recently, latest on top of vanilla
>2.4.16.
>Executing "make -f Makefile-2.5 menuconfig" gave me a few suprises.
>
>1) The 'old-style' way to call GCC and friends was used, displaying a
>verbose list of options.

Only to build the menuconfig utilities, and only once per kernel.
Anything above the main kernel build tends to use the old verbose build
style, I left them alone for debugging.

>2) When menuconfig completed I was asked next to run "make dep". As I have
>understood "make dep" is never required when using kbuild.

Compatibility glue with 2.4.  make *config uses the same code that 2.4
does and you can drop back to kbuild 2.4 which still needs make dep.