On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:37:06 +1000,
Keith Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Brendan J Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I'm still not sure
>>how to use select() for the base_target.  Does this list all objects
>>that are to be compiled into the base_target ?  What about libs, etc ?
>
>Everything to be linked into a base target should be mentioned in a
>select() statement, including libs.

Correction.  If the libraries are being built for other reasons then
it is acceptable to just add them to the XXX_objects list, as ia64
does.

base_target(ia64_bootloader)
select(bootloader.o)
bootloader_objects      := $(__pp_ia64_bootloader_objects)
bootloader_objects      += $(objfile /lib/lib.a) $(objfile /arch/$(ARCH)/lib/lib.a)
user_command(bootloader
        ($(bootloader_objects))
        ($(LD) -static -T$(srcfile bootloader.lds) $(bootloader_objects) -o $@)
        ()
        )

If you are in any doubt about whether the objects will be built or not
then use select() under the boot loader base target.

'bootloader_objects :=' gets the list that kbuild 2.5 knows about, then
it is extended by objects that the user knows about.  Strictly speaking
I would like to see all uses of an object or library use select() so
kbuild 2.5 knows about everything.  However this could make the rules
much uglier, especially when an arch directory needs to include the
general /lib/lib.a in a base target, so I am flexible.