On Saturday 11 May 2002 11:32, Keith Owens wrote:

> kbuild-2.5-common-2.5.15-2
>   Changes from common-2.5.15-1.
>
>     Add -f to cp/mv.  Mainly to cope with aic7xxx shipping files and
>     overwriting them with the same name.
It seems you introduced a new bug by adding '-a' to cp as well as '-f',
causing the files to keep their owner after installation. If you do

$ make installable -f Makefile-2.5
$ su
# make -f Makefile-2.5 install

depmod rightfully complains that the modules don't belong to root.
When testing this, I noticed that 'make install' did not rebuild
the global makefile after I change /Makefile.in as root. It warns
'Using existing global Makefile for install, writing is disabled when
installing as another user', but does not stop with 'KBUILD_WRITABLE is
false, giving up' as I expected. Is this correct?

Arnd <><