[Dominik Brodowski]
> So my suggestion is that in a first step the Makefile.in in each
> directory could be parsed to the existing form of Makefiles[*], with
> the rest of the build system staying the same. This Makefile.in ->
> Makefile (per directory) parsing could be done as first step of "make
> bzImage" in the existing kbuild-24.

I was going to say that this would not work at all because the
paradigms for 24 and 25 are just too different ... but then I noticed
that the vast majority of makefiles in the kbuild25-common patches are
not really aware of the advanced kbuild25 features.  Assuming someone
were willing to write a parser to handle the common functions -
select(), ifsel(), expsyms(), link_subdirs(), and a few others - a lot
of Makefiles could go in this way, transformed at runtime to something
that uses Rules.make.

Anyone want to write such a parser?  You'd call it from Rules.make.
The hardest part would probably be getting the vmlinux link right -
kbuild25, being non-recursive, doesn't have to worry about intermediate
linking of a master object file in each directory.

The first thing that should be sent independently to Linus is probably
the asm-offsets stuff.  It is mostly independent of the makefile
structure.

Peter