On Oct 02, 2002  21:59 -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
> The build process remains recursive, but it changes the recursion
> from
>       make -C subdir
>       make -f subdir/Makefile
>
> i.e. the current working directory remains the top dir for all times. So
> gcc/ld/.. are now called from the topdir, allowing to closer resemble
> a non-recursive build. Some Makefiles may need a little additional
> tweaking (in particular arch/*), but generally, the changes required are
> pretty small.

This is nice, because if you are doing "make -j[n]" you currently get
dumped into the wrong file (or just some non-existent file in the wrong
directory) on build warnings and errors (when compiling under vim/emacs)
because e.g. the "make[1]: entering directory fs/ext3" message was
followed by "make[1]: entering directory fs/msdos", while still
compiling files in fs/ext3.

Granted, this isn't a great reason to change, but it bugs me every
day.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger