"Nordgren, Bryce L -FS" <bnordg...@fs.fed.us> writes:

> 1] Does my KDC cert have to chain back to the same anchor as my smart card
> certificates?

I think no, in general, but configuration might be more complicated for
your deployment if they're different.

> 2] Is the error below related to the KDC's cert chain or the smart card's
> cert chain?

I'm not sure, but see below for some speculation.

> Long version:
> ==========
>
> Digging thru my notes, I rediscovered the KRB5_TRACE environment variable. As
> it turns out I didn't have enough "X's" in -XX509_user_identity. Hence I had
> no configured identity. Unrecognized options really should throw an error.
>
> Today's question concerns the assumptions about PKI. My KDC is part of "my"
> PKI for my local environment, and clients have my "cacert.pem", constructed
> as instructed on the PKINIT configuration webpage. My smart cards are issued
> by GSA credentialing centers, and I have provided a valid CA bundle to the
> KDC. I am getting:
>
> "Cannot create cert chain: unable to get local issuer certificate"

This string is coming from cms_signeddata_create() in
pkinit_crypto_openssl.c, so it's probably the client trying to create a
cert chain to send to the KDC with its signed data.

Have you set the krb5.conf [libdefaults] setting "pkinit_anchors" to
point at cacert.pem?  Which certs are in cacert.pem?  Are there any
intermediate CAs in the signature chain for the client certs?

-Tom