On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Denis Kirjanov <kirja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi dear list.
> I encountered the following problem: from time to time I see a delay when
> booting the kernel (~30s). It doesn't happen regularly.

exactly this line "from time to time...i see a delay"....is what
CONFIG_BOOT_TRACER is trying to solve!!!!!

it is an amazing feature.....

http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2009/03/29/linux-boot-tracing-in-the-linux-2628-kernel/

but as mentioned above link - it is from 2.6.28 and above, and u have
to recompile the kernel with this turned on, as it is not turned on by
default.

>From kernelnewbie website:

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_28#head-c55522a93da905261246a78a2d900c3e6b6c0a5a

1.6. Boot tracer

The purpose of this tracer is to helps developers to optimize boot
times: it records the timings of the initcalls. Its aim is to be
parsed by the scripts/bootgraph.pl tool to produce graphics about boot
inefficiencies, giving a visual representation of the delays during
initcalls. Users need to enable CONFIG_BOOT_TRACER, boot with the
"initcall_debug" and "printk.time=1" parameters, and run "dmesg | perl
scripts/bootgraph.pl > output.svg" to generate the final data.

Code: (commit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh