On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Bond wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Carlo Caione <carlo.cai...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/container_of.html
>
> I am not able to understand a single bit of the explanaition on the
> above link. They have assumed I programmed PCI buses which  I have
> not.

  you're making this too difficult -- all container_of() does is,
given:

  * a structure definition,
  * the name of a member field within that structure, and
  * the address of that internal member field in an instance

what you get back is the address of the enclosing structure.

  this allows you to work with member fields of a structure but, when
you need to, "back up" to the structure they're contained in.  kernel
linked lists are built on this idea.

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/intermission-lets-talk-about-linked-lists-and-containerof-free

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca