On Wed, 2023-08-02 at 06:58 +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:

> From long description I see zero motivation to ack this change, except
> some heresay about IMA requiring it. Why does IMA need update_cnt and
> why this is not documented to the long description?

The motivation is to detect whether the IMA measurement list has been
truncated, for whatever reason.  A new IMA record should be defined
containing the "pcrCounter" value.  (I have not had a chance to review
this patch set.)

This new record would be a pre-req for both Tushar's "ima: measure
events between kexec load and execute" patch set and Sush's proposal to
trim the measurement list.  (I haven't looked at it yet either.)

--
thanks,

Mimi