On 04/15/2016 07:45 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

On 15 April 2016 at 13:36, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com <mailto:dinban...@sprynet.com>> wrote:

    On 04/13/2016 03:29 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
    On 8 April 2016 at 19:54, Jaroslaw Staniek<stan...@kde.org>
<mailto:stan...@kde.org>  wrote:
    On Thursday, 7 April 2016, Swarup<dinban...@sprynet.com>
<mailto:dinban...@sprynet.com>  wrote:
    Hello there,
    Any improvements made in providing ability for Ubuntu users to upgrade to
    later versions? I'm still stuck in--

    Kexi Version 2.8.5
    Hi
    I am sorry that ubuntu offers no such support for free software.
    Upgrading the OS can be an option.
    Or requesting support from ubuntu or someone who can develop a backport.
    This can be requested on an ubuntu forum.
    Hi,
    A modern way of distributing software may help us soon:

    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/ubuntu-16-04-lts-snap-packages

    Looks wonderful-- I am really looking forward to the day when I'll
    be able to upgrade kexi versions. The version I have right now is
    so dysfunctional. Any time the mouse crosses from the left side of
    the screen into the left side of the table, it makes the table
    jump to the top. This is endlessly frustrating and a huge waste of
    time. Say I am working in row #750, the mouse moves across the
    left border of the table and all of a sudden the table jumps to
    row#1. If there is any fix for this, please advise.

​ All this was long ago fixed.​
​ My advice is to upgrade the OS or install​ another copy in a virtual machine or different computer. Regardless of availability of the Snap packages, staying with outdated software on LTS platforms will be always a compromise. It's not a problem for apps that do not evolve much anymore but Kexi is actively developed and users are hungry for features :)

We'll be looking for a way when practically every week new updates appear for Kexi.

There are so many software packages which update regularly every week with the Ubuntu update manager-- it happens automatically. If Kexi could be incorporated into this feature, it would be great.

As for upgrading the OS, the Final Version of the new Ubuntu LTS 16.04 is coming out on April 21. My current LTS 14.04 is in all other regards functioning wonderfully, and I would have no other reason to upgrade given my own specific usage patterns and needs. Upgrading would only be done for getting an updated Kexi, and for me upgrading Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro is not a small job. So this being the case, let me just ask the following questions:

1. By upgrading to 16.04 LTS, will I get the latest finalized version of Kexi? Or if not, which version of Kexi will be included in Ubuntu 16.04?
2. Will the version of Kexi which is included have the following features:

-Ability to add rows to the middle of a table which is already in existence
-Ability to add columns to the middle of a table which is already in existence -Ability to change the name of a column in an existing table. (Currently this requires going into the data view, with the warning that making any changes will wipe out all the data in the table) -Ability to move existing rows/columns in a table which is already in existence

If these table features have also been incorporated, then that will also provide tremendous inspiration to do the OS upgrade.

(If it is just the previously described table-jumps-to-row#1 bug which has been fixed, I will still consider upgrading but I have adjusted myself through long practice to this bug so that I don't cross that table border when working in Kexi.)

Swarup