This is a cut and paste from the manual.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jwessel/kgdb/

If something is not clear, please help clear up the documentation.

------

NOTE: Kgdboc does not support interrupting the target via the gdb remote
protocol. You must manually send a sysrq-g unless you have a proxy that
splits console output to a terminal problem and has a separate port for
the debugger to connect to that sends the sysrq-g for you.

When using kgdboc with no debugger proxy, you can end up connecting the
debugger for one of two entry points. If an exception occurs after you
have loaded kgdboc a message should print on the console stating it is
waiting for the debugger. In case you disconnect your terminal program
and then connect the debugger in its place. If you want to interrupt the
target system and forcibly enter a debug session you have to issue a
Sysrq sequence and then type the letter |g|. Then you disconnect the
terminal session and connect gdb. Your options if you don't like this
are to hack gdb to send the sysrq-g for you as well as on the initial
connect, or to use a debugger proxy that allows an unmodified gdb to do
the debugging.

------