On 03/19/2012 08:49 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> An arch-independent hook has its advantages, no question. Maybe we
> should just start this way and then evolved on top as needed.

Sounds good to me.  I added the reboot notifier patch into the merge queue for
kgdb/kdb.

> I was wondering why those other archs do not use the notifier. Maybe one
> motivation is to avoid that too much code is excluded from the debugger
> by detaching too early. Could possibly be addressed by making
> detach-on-reboot runtime configurable.

There really isn't a whole lot of code between reboot hook invoked from
kernel_restart_prepare(), and the place where the reset is invoked.
Specifically it looked like:

        usermodehelper_disable();
        device_shutdown();
        syscore_shutdown();
        machine_restart(cmd);

Attached is the patch you asked for the conditional behavior with respect to
the reboot hook.  This also implements the ability to stop on a reboot that is
not a panic().

Cheers,
Jason.