I will be happy to help.

All the best,
Philip

On 08/29/2012 11:57 AM, Arshad Ali Khan wrote:

Hi Philip, Eleni/All

thanks for sharing this. Actually I am too working my way out of this stage and would be happy to share my findings with Eleni in the course of next few weeks. At the same time would appreciate if Eleni keep intouch through the discussion forum which would be a great source of learning from each other experience.
many thanks once again

Arshad Ali Khan

Researcher, University of Southampton

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:26:25 +0300
From: philip.alex...@ontotext.com
To: afiont...@aueb.gr
CC: kim-discussion@ontotext.com
Subject: Re: [Kim-discussion] KIM questions

Hello Eleni,

KIM uses internally the GATE framework, which uses the TIKA toolkit (http://tika.apache.org) to parse the documents and extract the unified text content from them. Basically, KIM should be able to support all the formats TIKA supports, but we have restricted the set to the ones that make sense. You can see the list of supported file extensions in the populater configuration file - $KIM_HOME/config/populater.xml . Here is the line itself:

<INPUT_DOC_EXT>doc,docx,rtf,xhtml,odf,ods,odp,htm,html,txt,pdf,page,xml,gzip</INPUT_DOC_EXT>

As for the second topic, there is no automatic and easy way to just drop the ontology and update the system. You can learn more details at our online KIM documentation:
http://www.ontotext.com/kim/getting-started/documentation

Hope this helps,
Philip Alexiev
Software Engineer, KIM team