Hi Alexander,

maybe something else that could work for some of your use cases is the
course reserves module.

It allows you to temporarily change item values while they are in a an
active course reserve and automatically changes them back when they
aren't. I believe it could be useful for exhibitions or the new items
shelf maybe. It also gives a nice indication in the OPAC that an item is
currently in a course reserve. Some renaming of things could be achieved
with jQuery/OpacUserJs.

Hope this helps,

Katrin