> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Joe Atzberger <ohioc...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The problem is not really with Koha, it is with the PDF format.
>

> Very definitely so.

>> In my opinion, development time might be better spent on piping the data
>> into an external known good UNICODE-capable print tool or something like
>> Open Office.
>

> I agree that this should be at least given some consideration. However, if
> we go that way, we would simply be "requiring" another piece of software for
> the end user rather than "requiring" fonts. (In the final analysis there
> will always be a minimum level of required packages in order to run Koha.)
>

>> Generating PDFs out of (FOSS) perl just didn't seem to be a viable answer.
>>

> Maybe.
>

>> I would be interested to see any counter-examples with FOSS perl producing
>> compact, cross-platform PDFs with some UTF-8 data like Chinese, or
>> Lithuanian... that don't require specific fonts.
>>

> The problem is a bit more fundamental than FOSS code. In order to properly
> display fonts in a PDF, there are only two options: either 1. embed the font
> in the PDF stream or 2. require the reader to have installed the correct
> fonts on their system.
>
> If we have issues with requiring the installation of fonts, then we must
> take option 1 if we are going to produce our own PDFs. If we opt to pipe to
> another app, then we must require the installtion of those apps on the
> creator's system. And we are still bound by the above two options as they
> are fundamental to the PDF standard. The "another app" will have to either
> embed or require.

Actually, the "other app" wouldn't have to produce PDFs at all, since those
are just a midpoint to printing actual barcode labels.  For example, if we
import CSV data into an Open Office spreadsheet, then it's just a question
of page formatting and printing.  This is the approach we used at INFOhio
(using a custom SirsiDynix Unicorn report and an Excel spreadsheet with some
VB I wrote).  It was *not* particularly elegant, but it was good enough to
print a couple million barcodes.

Another approach would be to integrate with some widely available 3rd party
print shop, like Kinko's.  I.E., figuring out what API was available for
specifying (or pre-specifying) label stock and layout, and then just pushing
CSV data.  We wouldn't necessarily need a PDF to just mail-order the
barcodes printed commercially.  (A similar approach might be expanded to
cover printing of patron ID cards.)

But otherwise, yes, you are right, punting to another application for
PDF-generation doesn't resolve the problems all PDFs would have on the
client side.

--Joe