Albanian gangsters kidnapping women and girls to service troops.  Kosovo
has not been part of the Eastern European sex trade that has flourished
since the collapse of communism, but the lure of a 45,000-strong army has
made it a new business.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Hank Hyena

Feb. 9, 2000 | Kosovo has known horrendous atrocities as ethnic minorities
and NATO troops battled for supremacy of the region. Now a new victim has
emerged in this cursed country: sex slaves. Young women kidnapped from
Moldova, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania and other impoverished Eastern European
nations are being forced by Albanian gangsters to prostitute themselves to
foreign soldiers and businessmen in seedy nightclubs springing up around
Kosovo, reports the London Times.

Last week Italian police rescued 12 women -- some as young as 16 -- from
Nightclub International, located near the headquarters of the Russian
forces outside Pristina. The women claimed they had been abused and sold
several times to different owners as they were smuggled from their
homelands to Kosovo. At Nightclub International they provided sexual favors
to Russian and American troops at a cost of about $48 for 30 minutes.

The International Organization of Migration (IOM) in Pristina estimates
that there are "thousands of girls who are now prisoners in the European
sex trade."

While British troops are subject to a strict "no walking out" policy and
not permitted in such bars, American, Russian and Italian soldiers are less
closely monitored and have easier access to the brothels proliferating
across the province.

International agencies trying to assist the enslaved women are overwhelmed
by the magnitude of the problem. The Albanian pimps are also dangerous.
Staff members at the IOM were threatened after the Italians confiscated the
12 girls because the Mafia-style gangs viewed the women as their "property."

The sex merchants were enraged because they had paid from $1,597 to $2,237
for each of the girls, plus they retained half the cash from every trick
and another 10 percent for the girls' room and board. The unhappy hookers
have the option to buy back their freedom with the remaining fraction, but
in actuality they end up with little or nothing, said an IOM official.

Kosovo girls are also unsafe because flesh-traders can eliminate costly
fees to distant middlemen if they successfully abduct regional girls.
Several teenagers have vanished recently; the resulting panic emptied the
province's streets after dark.

salon.com | Feb. 9, 2000

About the writer: Hank Hyena is a columnist for SF Gate, and a frequent
contributor to Salon.

_______
Macdonald Stainsby
-----
Check out  the Tao ten point program: http://new.tao.ca
***
"Our enemies are not our enemies due to the lots of mistakes and blunders we made, but due to the few good things we did".
- Juan Peron