----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 8:11 AM
Subject: [STOPNATO] Turkey pitches itself as EU's 'bridge to Chinese border'

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.HOME-PAGE.ORG

"Turkey would act as a bridge between Europe, the
Caucasus and Central Asia, giving the EU influence
over a vast Euro-Asian region stretching to the China
border. [President Suleyman Demirel]"....If EU comes,
can NATO be far behind? Or does it go the other way
around?
Financial Times
Turkey will give EU a link to Asia, says president
By Leyla Boulton and Quentin Peel in Ankara - 6 Mar
2000 21:26GMT

Sleyman Demirel, the Turkish president, on Monday
sought to allay fears in the European Union over
Turkey's proposed membership, saying its benefits
would far outweigh the costs.

Turkey would act as a bridge between Europe, the
Caucasus and Central Asia, giving the EU influence
over a vast Euro-Asian region stretching to the
Chinese border, he said.

"Turkey should not be taken as a single country," he
said in an interview with the Financial Times.
"Whatever we are going to take from the EU we will add
far more. Turkey is a very dynamic country. We are not
a burden on Europe. We are going to be an honourable
partner."

He said the EU, which accepted Turkey as a candidate
for membership at its summit in December, must
recognise a "new political geography" since the
collapse of the Soviet Union. "I don't think Europe is
able to stay within a fortress and forget remaining
peoples and countries outside it."

President Demirel urged the EU to back his proposed
stability pact in the Caucasus, modelled on its plan
for the Balkans. "The Caucasus is part of Euro-Asia,"
he said. If the Caucasus was not stable, the whole
region would be affected.

He said he had written to President Bill Clinton,
Vladimir Putin, the acting Russian head of state, and
the British, French, and German leaders.

The plan, which had received positive signals, would
guarantee the stability of Georgia, Azerbaijan and
Armenia - all threatened by internal conflict and,
possibly, the spillover from Russia's war in Chechnya.

Mr Demirel said the EU offered a great opportunity for
Turkey. "We shall push ourselves to a higher level.
That is our dream to become more rich, more
contemporary."

He admitted that the challenge would be more political
than economic as Turkey would have to curb its 60 per
cent inflation "whether we are in the EU or not".

He expressed confidence that Turkey could meet the
EU's political criteria for a fully-functioning
democracy and that the powerful military establishment
would not intervene in the political process.

"I don't think it is a problem," he said, provided the
civilian governments "did everything" to protect
Turkey's secularism and territorial integrity.