----- Original Message -----
From: Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 1:41 AM
Subject: NEW MISSILE DEFENSE STRATEGY FROM RUMSFELD

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/bmdo-01w.html
================ + ================
Rumsfeld Plays Down The "National" In Missile Defense
by Jim Mannion

Washington (AFP) March 8, 2001 --
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Thursday he was devising a
missile defense strategy that drops the emphasis on a "national" defense
of US territory and instead seeks to encompass protection of US forces
and allies as well.

Rumsfeld discussed his ideas here with visiting NATO Secretary General
George Robertson and
German Defense Minister Rudolf Scharping, telling reporters afterwards
he has decided it was no longer useful to make a distinction between
"national" and "theater" missile defenses.

He said he was approaching missile defense "in a rational way by avoiding
something
that could create significant differentials in vulnerabilities" between
the United States and its allies.

He said it was "every bit as important to us to be able to defend this piece
of real estate,
and our population in this location, as it is to defend our deployed
forces, and to have our allies feel equally secure to the extent that's
possible."

"So I've pretty much stopped using the words (national or theater), to be
perfectly honest
with you," he said. It was unclear whether the change was more semantics
than substance since Rumsfeld has offered few details on how the new
administration plans to pursue missile defenses.

But President George W. Bush has sought to ease European concerns about a
national missile
defense system by speaking of the need to extend missile protection to
the allies as well.

Rumsfeld in particular has pointed to European fears that a national missile
defense system
could foster US isolationism and lead to a decoupling of the
trans-Atlantic alliance.

"I am one individual who feels very deeply about the importance of the
trans-Atlantic
relationship and the relationship between the United States and our NATO
allies," Rumsfeld said at a Pentagon news conference with Robertson.

Robertson called missile defense "an important and common issue."
He said "the alliance has no intention of being divided or split in any
way, and ... we are keen to get right down to the promised consultations
on missile defense, on the how and the when rather than on the whether,
which has been decided by the will of the American people."

The previous Democratic administration had emphasized the development of
theater missile
defenses, which have been designed to protect US troops deployed
overseas, believing they were the most vulnerable to missile attack.

But mounting intelligence pointing to an increasing threat of long-range
missiles in
the hands of rogue states prompted former president Bill Clinton to
swing behind development of a system capable of defending the United
States against a limited attack.

"National" missile defenses are prohibited by the 1972 ABM treaty, but fewer
restrictions
apply to theater missile defense systems. Some land and sea-based
theater defense systems under development by the United States could be
used to protect country-sized areas.
----

Bruce K. Gagnon
Coordinator
Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
PO Box 90083
Gainesville, Fl. 32607
(352) 337-9274
http://www.space4peace.org