[Second attempt at sending this out, so apologies if it appears twice]

(Correction notes: Sevgi Erdogan's organisation is given
wrongly - it is the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front. Lale
Colak's group, the TIKB, is not Maoist but tends more towards the ideology
of Enver Hoxha.)

Hope dies in Turkish prison hunger strike
============================
45 lives lost as both sides spurn compromise

Owen Bowcott in Istanbul
Saturday January 19, 2002
The Guardian

Lale Colak was released from her prison sentence on her 27th birthday, but
never returned home to the family's cosy basement flat. When she died,
emaciated but smiling, she weighed less than six stone. Her hair had turned
white.
Earlier this month, after 222 days without solid food, she became the 45th
self-inflicted fatality in what may already be the longest-running hunger
strike, or "death fast", in history.

Despite pressure from the Council of Europe this week for a compromise in
Turkey's prison regime, to prevent further deaths, neither the country's
justice ministry nor the Marxist revolutionary groups which orchestrate the
hunger strikes appear prepared to back down.

At least 140 inmates and a handful of sympathisers outside the jails are
slowly starving themselves in a protest against what they claim are
"isolation cells" in Turkey's new F-type prisons. One prisoner survived for
more than a year on water, sugar, salt and vitamin B1, but is said to have
been left with the mind of a child.

As prisoners slip into comas, state doctors are called in to assess whether
they should be freed temporarily on grounds of ill health. But seven teams
of hunger strikers have successively taken up the campaign, preferring
ideological martyrdom to political surrender

Colak's last days raised her family's hopes that she could be persuaded to
abandon her protest. Her mother, Gulsum, 53, had visited her in an F-type
prison in Kartal and pleaded with her. "She loved chocolate and I tried to
smuggle it in," Mrs Colak said, sitting cross-legged on her living room
floor and blinking back tears. "But the guards always found it and
confiscated it.

"We talked about her coming home so we could have breakfast together. She
didn't want to die; she was very brave. She said: 'You don't know the
terrible situation in prisons, mother. We do this to make life better for
all humanity'."

Mrs Colak believes that the state delayed the release of her daughter on
purpose. "Eventually Lale was transferred to Bayrampasa prison hospital in
Istanbul. We thought she would be freed soon and stop the hunger strike. She
told me: 'Mum, if I'm released by December I should live. After that, I
won't.'

"They didn't release her in time. When they said she could go on December 20
- her birthday - she was virtually in a coma. The injections they gave
failed to save her. Even the doctors in jail were sad. Her body had shrunk
so small and she had been so beautiful."

Lale's 28-year-old sister, Dilek, was with her at the end: "She never
thought she would die," she said. "We'd talk about going to Rumeli castle,
her favourite place in Istanbul. In the last days she couldn't speak, her
mouth was ulcerated. Her mind was going and her last movement was a slow
smile."

The revolutionary groups organising the death fasts claim a political
precedent in the IRA's 1981 hunger strike. The immediate cause of the
confrontation was the Turkish government's determination to reassert its
authority. The justice minister, Hikmet Sami Turk, alleged that the old
dormitory-style institutions - with up to 60 people in overcrowded, communal
quarters - were controlled by "terrorist" groups who enforced their own
discipline. Members of the far-left organisations, which intermittently
carry out gun and bomb attacks, refused to be transferred to the new jails,
claiming that the one or three-person cells amounted to penal "isolation".

The first death fasts in protest at the move began on October 20 2000. A
month later, soldiers and police stormed 20 jails. By the end of the
operation, 30 prisoners and two prison gendarmes had been killed. Inmates
alleged that prisoners had been beaten, raped or tortured.

Forcibly removed to the F-type jails, the various revolutionary groups
coordinated teams of volunteers. Turkish political activists make a
distinction between hunger strikes, which may last only a week, and death
fasts, where the intention is to continue to the bitter end. After a similar
protest in 1996 they refined their tactics.

The 10 republicans who died in Northern Ireland's Maze prison in 1981 lasted
for up to 70 days without food. Turkey's revolutionaries have devised a more
protracted decline: tea, water, vitamin B1 plus a little sugar and salt are
now permitted.

Lale Colak's political involvement stretched back into her teenage years.
She was arrested at 15 for taking part in a protest about the education
system and, despite being shot in the arm by police, was sentenced to three
months' detention. Jail sentences followed, culminating in six-and-a-half
years for alleged membership of a Maoist group. "But she wasn't a member of
any party," her mother insisted.

Some of those released from prison continue their fasts to the grave. Sevgi
Erdogan, of the Revolutionary People's Independence party, died last July
after 264 days without food.

In Gazimah, near Istanbul, another young activist this month restarted his
death fast at home. Deniz Bakir, 23, was jailed when he was 16 for
membership of a Marxist party. After 174 days without food, he was released
last July after he had lost nearly half his body weight."If they don't find
a solution", he said, "I will fast until my death."

Hopes of a compromise have stalled. The Turkish Bar Association suggested
allowing the inmates to share a common area. The hunger strikers accepted
the proposal, but the government said no. This month, the justice minister
offered to allow "prisoners to associate in groups of no more than 10 for
five hours a week in areas determined by the prison administration". The
prisoners rejected it. No further talks are planned.

Cell-block martyrs

· Turkish government designs "F-Type" prisons with small cells to replace
old jails with dormitories which it says are run by terrorist groups

· First death fasts begin on November 20 2000. More than 40 inmates start
refusing food as a protest

· Police and soldiers raid jails on December 19 killing 30 prisoners

· Transferred leftwing groups order new teams to join hunger strike every
few months

· In April 2001, first hunger strike deaths

· Lawyers suggest allowing prisoners in each block of three three-man cells
to be unlocked together, allowing better association rights. Prisoners
accept idea

· Justice minister rejects compromise and makes alternative offer which
prisoners turn down

· Lale Colak dies in Bayrampasa prison hospital this month

· Council of Europe calls on Turkish government to allow prisoners more time
together outside cells