KOL. 24 January 2002. Maoists kill five policemen.

KATHMANDU -- At least five policemen have lost their lives while
fighting Maoists last night at around 11:30 p.m. in Gopetaar police post
in Paanchthar district, our reports say.

Though police claimed that a number of Maoists were also shot dead in
the encounter, only two dead bodies have been recovered so far.

Our correspondent, Prem Ojha, quotes Chief District Officer, Jivan
Prasad Oli, as saying that the Maoists carried the dead body of their
comrades and fled the scene after the attack.

The encounter is said to have lasted for about six hours in Gopetaar,
around 5 kilometers away from Phidim, the district headquarters.

Meanwhile, a bomb planted by the terrorists exploded this morning at the
residence of Druba Wagle, the chief of Byas Municipality in Damauli, our
correspondent adds from Tanahun district.

Wagle was away during the explosion, the report adds.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews